The ongoing UCU strike is primarily about the USS pension scheme but the results could impact future working conditions for all staff in Higher Education – it’s crucial to support the colleagues taking this stand. Wherever you work in the University, the following advice applies:
- You DO NOT have to take on the work of any staff on strike, even if pressured. Continue to act within your role & duties.
- You SHOULD NOT do duties which you are not trained to do, particularly if they have any health & safety implications
- You can’t refuse to cross an official picket line unless you believe it puts you at risk of injury – refusing to cross could make you liable to disciplinary action, inc. deduction of salary.
- You can support or visit the picket lines before work starts, or during your unpaid breaks
- Look at joining a union if you are not already a member
You can download a poster with this advice on here, and we encourage staff to put this up across campus on UNISON boards
Info on the strike can be found at www.ucu.org.uk/strikeforuss or to find out what the University of Leeds branch is doing, go to www.leedsucu.org.uk – you can also see there up to date activity on their twitter feed @LeedsUCU
Ways to support the strike:
- Tell them on the picket lines you support them (or bring them hot drinks/food whilst they are outside)
- Write to the VC to ask him to use his influence reopen negotiations
- Write to your MP: ask them to support the strike
- Post about it on social media – #strikeforuss