Here are some updates which may be of interest. As always, if you have any concerns, or would like some support and advice, please contact us at email@example.com:
- Sheffield University win – University of Sheffield UNISON members have won an incredible victory, fighting to overturn the threat to ‘fire and re-hire’ 8000 members of staff on inferior contracts. This is an amazing win! You can find a video of the campaign here.
- Reminder: ONLINE MEMBER MEETINGS – we have two online member meetings next week: Trinity University members can join a meeting on Monday, 5 October, 12:30-1:30pm (Trinity meeting link) and all members are welcome to attend our meeting on Tuesday, 6 October, 12:30-1:30 (all-member meeting link) where we will be joined by our Branch H&S Officer, Nick Creighton, for an overview of the work UNISON have been doing over the last 6 months and one of our Black Members Officers, Naomi Blake, will also be on hand to give us a quick walk through of Black History Month. We hope to see you there!
- Annual Leave – did you feel pressured to use your leave and would have preferred carry over? Have you been told that there will be no carry over of leave for this new annual leave year (20/21)? If so, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
- H&S Walk-arounds – the Branch would like to say a big thank you to our H&S Officer and Safety Reps, who have undertaken a huge number of safety walk-arounds. There have been around 77 walk-arounds in total and UNISON has been the trade union representative on 37 of these visits to date. Our feedback helps to ensure that areas are safe for staff to reoccupy.
- Black History Month – This month is Black History Month, and we will be celebrating prominent figures, key events and cultural icons of Black history on our social media channels, so keep an eye on those. We will also be posting resources on our website to help members to explore further and make engaging with Black history and Black culture part of their lives every month of the year. At the end of the month, we will be hosting an educational talk on anti-racist organising and working class solidarity by Tariq Mehmood, who was one of the Bradford 12 and has been a prolific writer, educator and cultural commentator ever since. We will email out details of how to attend in due course.
- Leeds MPs’ letter – MPs in Leeds have written to the University to lobby for teaching to be moved online to ensure a safer campus, especially while Leeds is in local lockdown. You can find a copy of the letter attached to this email but we will also be sharing the letter on our social media channels.
- Would you be interested in an on-line writing course – short classes 20-30mins each. Free of charge. With a local writer of national standing, who works with mental health issues, through trade unions? If so, please let email@example.com know. At the moment this is just indicative, but if there is sufficient interest we will book the writer.
If you are soon returning to campus, and believe that any health conditions or caring responsibilities etc have not been taken into account, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.