Monday, 25 November sees the beginning of the 8-day UCU strike over pay and pensions. As we did not reach the threshold for strike action in our national ballot, we are unable to strike alongside our UCU colleagues.
This does not mean we can’t show our support in other ways and we would encourage members to do this in the following ways:
- Stand on the picket line in the mornings before you start work and show your solidarity for UCU, especially as the issue of pay affects us all.
- Make cups of tea and coffee for those on the picket line near your place of work – it is cold work standing on a picket line in November/December!
- Show support by chatting to those on the picket line. Our UCU colleagues will be happy to hear that other staff support their strike
- Share posts regarding the strike on your social media.
- Do not take on work which would usually be undertaken by UCU colleagues during the strike period.
As we did last year, we will be arranging free breakfast sandwiches for UCU strikers and UNISON members. Further details of where and when will be sent out in the next week.
If you have any questions or any other ideas on how we can show our support, do contact your local Rep or the Branch Office.